Sunday, February 14, 2016

Social media nomadism



My name is Sami, and I'm photoholic…

Photography has been my passion since I bought my first camera somewhere around age of 16. I even tried to become a professional photographer. But tossed by Fortuna, I end up studying and teaching information and library science at the university level.

During the past years there were times when I almost completely gave up on shooting with a camera, and planned to do what I playfully call as "air photography" (similar as playing air guitar). That is because I no longer could find any use for photographs as prints in family albums or hanging on walls of my home.

Then I found digital photography and social media! During last few years on different social media photography services I have learned more than ever before the era of digital photography. So, photography is my obsession. I become inspired by pictures taken by others, and I enjoy taking and editing pictures of my own.

What I now call as a nomadic social media amateur photography is a phenomena totally different than was an amateur photography few decades earlier. In the late 1970s for example Susan Sontag saw photography merely as a way to live in the past, an intention to record and preserve everyday life into collections of “jarred” memories.

Today digital photography, and amateur photography on social media is more like a way of living, to experience and share the presence. Barely no one is interested on what someone else did last summer, unless it is presented today, as new to them, right now, and right on front of their faces. Only pictures posted today are interesting.

And as long as you are not a professional, you are on the mercy of ever changing social media. The place you may have used to see as your “home” may suddenly become closed down, and you are forced to seek a new place, new online albums, new people, and new ways to get inspired and share your own pictures. You have to let old friends to go, as much as you need to welcome potential new friends with whom to share yours and their stories.

So, see you online folks!

References:
More me at:

6 comments:

  1. As always, a pleasure to read your posts!
    For sure, I'll be looking for your "old"/new articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! =) I forgot to mention plans to wrote reviews also on all these social media services. So, plenty to write about, in time...

      Delete
  2. Sami I am looking forward to your articles a very nice interesting post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired by you Eva ;-) I thought it is good to make sort of a presentation at first.

      Delete
  3. And speaking about photoholism... Peeps, check this out: http://www.johnwilhelm.ch/

    ReplyDelete