Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Crow...

A few months ago, on a Sunday morning, I was having my coffee on a small coffee shop,
inside the shopping mall.
As usual, I had my camera hanging on my shoulder, as I never leave my camera in the car.
I was enjoying my coffee, when I feel a sudden tap on my shoulder:
"You can't take photos here!" a security guard told me.
"I'm having a coffee, not taking photos." I answered.
"You have been warned..." growled the security while moving away.
"Have a nice day." I replied.
I was trying not to get bothered with the situation, but eventually I started to feel upset. Why
was I the only one to be harassed, when quite a few people were taking selfies and photos
to each other with smartphones and compact cameras, just around me ?
It's not the first time I've been asked to avoid to take photos on the premises. What upsets me
is the criteria, that seems to be the looks of the camera.
Does it look like a pro or semi-pro gear like a dslr (!)? You can't take photos here.
A tiny compact or a smartphone ? Go ahead, feel free to shoot.

I really didn't had the intention to take any photos inside the mall. I went shopping with my

wife, visited a few shops, but a couple of hours later I still felt upset with the situation, for I felt
it was unfair...

19mm - f/2.8 - 1/320 - iso 400 - Aperture Priority
On my way out to the parking lot I decided to make it right: got my camera and took a quick shot of the damned crow.
Vengeance ? No, I call it justice...
See you!

Orlando N

12 comments:

  1. You rebellion! =D Yes, I agree, it is not fair! Besides, taking pictures secretly is easier with camera phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. One day, inside a Cathedral, I was politely asked not to shoot inside. When I asked why, because everybody else was shooting, I was told I was a professional, since I had a professional camera, and I needed a license. I had a small dslr, the Nikon D60. Professional... Doh!

      Delete
  2. This is very much a problem everywhere. I have been very rude and disrespectfull or just following the law .... here we are forbidden to take pictures of other people without permission. But if it is a crowd of people in a marketplace or party it is allowed as long as I dont aim for one special person. Streetphotography is almost out of the question ... selfies and pictures with small compacts people dont see ... One day I went up to a girl and ask her to remove her pictures from the phone camera I was in the pictures I will not let you have these pictures. I told her the law was for her too .... Over here people are angry with the cameras dslr but they never think of what happens with selfphones and small cameras. When we go out we look like pro... that is annoying . Orland a very nice and good post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why I am terrible in street photography: people don't like me to stuck the camera right in front of their noses, and I don't have (yet) the guts to do it.
      I could use a telephoto lens and shoot from far, but it's not the same thing... I just love wide angles for street photography.

      Delete
  3. And I like that picture This is a good one ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, start using crappy pocket cameras =D Olympus Tough has been a rather interesting concept, providing an optical zoom with no lens popping out of the camera body. There the optics is placed sideways, and a 90 degree periscope structure used inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D
      Sami, that would make 3 craps: a crappy shot, a crappy photographer and crappy gear. No way! =D

      The Tough cameras seems to be really good, but... Damn, I have broken my piggy bank to buy the OM-D and the lenses... =D

      Delete
  5. Very often my selfphone come in use. I try to learn more of it and åt Times I blend in really fantastisk lolol
    📷🎬🎨😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.
      Smartphones are ok; mine has a decent camera. From time to time I remember to upload some photos to Instagram. But that's it...

      Delete
    2. And every time I use mine I say Aha ohhh no ohoh

      Delete