Sunday, March 6, 2016

Learning from masters


I saw someone writing how important it should be to try create something own and original. However, on photography it is darn difficult to be truly original! And in developing an unique style I also see a danger of repetition.

Therefore I rather try multitude ideas, techniques, genres, topics, and point of views. By learning all kinds of things is actually more important in amateur photography than almost a foolish attempt to become a famous artist some day...

And one nice way to experience new tricks is to study the ideas and techniques used by masters of photography. Like Picasso, I have gone through several periods. I have tried to imitate the style of Duane Michals, Bill Brandt, and also internationally less known Finnish photographers like Matti Saanio.

But one of my great personal challenges has been to follow at least some of the six "rules" defined by Philippe Halsman (1961):
"the rule of the direct approach,"
"the rule of the unusual technique,"
"the rule of the added unusual feature,"
"the rule of the missing feature,"
"the rule of compounded features,"
"the rule of the literal or ideographic method."
One option is to build a setting where more than one of those ideas become implemented. Another approach is to keep eyes open and find subjects that goes along with any of those rules suggested by Halsman. It can be an unusual light, a low camera point of view, but also something exceptional seen around. And what is good to keep in mind, is that even the most simple thing can turn into something exceptional with something as simple technique as "direct approach".

So, do step close enough to the subject, try wide angle, seek for golden hours, and look up or down! You don't only get an exceptional picture, but you also enrich your personal life by finding new ways to see things in general.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice post. When I read this I am thinking och these tools to get to know them and to use them finding your own personal touch in photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there is also such thing in photography as a choice of tool ;-) Even I often make a mistake and claim: "It does not matter what camera one uses. It is the photographer who takes the picture."

      However, there are certain areas where one can go only with a proper tools. Really good macro shots require tele macro lens. And really good moon shots require lens long enough. And features like articulated (rotating) display at least makes the shooting from low angles much easier.

      For example my personal style once used to be wide angle views taken very close of the subject, where the context (background) was taken into account. But this turned out to be just another period. Today I'm hooked by telescopic end of focal length, and detail shots.

      And in the future I hope to get enough money for a "one inch" compact camera with a bright lens like Canon G7 X mark II. What I wish to explore is the full potential of night photography and shooting in poor light.

      Delete
  2. Although, Bill Brandt has said: "I am not interested in rules or conventions. Photography is not a sport." =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you've got to know the rules in order to break them... or it will be an accident! =D

      Delete
  3. Yes indeed and some rules are there to be tested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the issue of “own style” and originality!



    As it is said on the article, it is indeed hard to be really original and even more to create a style. As far as I am concerned, my evolution in photography should go on in 3 easy steps:



    Step 1 is the “postal card” stage – try to get photos that are pleasing to the eye. That doesn’t mean they are good photos. Only pleasing ones.



    Step 2 is the “copying” stage – try to copy the work of a Master. Hey, if it works for a Master, maybe it will work for you!



    Step 3 is the “recipe” stage – found a “recipe” that works well ? Stick to it ! Maybe the recipe will be your style.



    It should be easy, but it’s not. The right tools for the job helps a lot, but you still have to learn how to use them!

    After all these years, I still don’t know how to properly edit a photo. I am used to shoot with zoom lenses; now I have 3 prime lenses and it is waaay different to shoot with them. Still have to learn!



    But that’s the beauty of this hobby: for me, it is a permanent challenge! Each shot is unique in itself, and I’m learning in baby steps. I know I won’t be another Steve McCurry or SebastiĆ£o Salgado, but at the end of these baby steps, it will be me.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, partially disagree, and disagreed on what comes to step 3 =P

      Yes, some recipe is good to learn, but my point was to learn multiple recipes ;-) In a long run one may ultimately become a "creative cook" who knows all the recipes and starts to implement them in some new way.

      But in case of myself, I have accepted being just a apprentice learning multiple recipes. Besides I do not want to make and serve same food every day =D

      Delete
    2. Sami, maybe we are not so much apart as you may think.
      In my opinion, to find a recipe that works well you have to read a lot of "cook books", and learn quite a few cooking techniques... Only after that you can find your own style.

      And what if you can't define your own style ? Well, at least you have the techniques to produce an well done job.

      Delete
  5. Orlando indeed. For me this hobby shooting is to explore something new ever so often, to learn, I agree with these three steps and not to be afraid. Also for me Eva has to be there..

    ReplyDelete